Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Some good news, some bad news, and why I need prayer

I’ve been pretty quiet online for a while because life has been wild this year. Aside from Mike traveling a lot for work, which is cool for him and sad for me, we were surprised to find out we were pregnant with a free baby. As in, no shots required. Can you believe it? My doctor said it was highly unlikely that it would ever happen for me without IVF so I'd given up. I was convinced I’d have to shoot up again this year to try to get pregnant, and I was dreading it. I hate the IVF/FET process so much. I was not one of those strong, super-positive mamas who focused on the end goal. I cried fresh tears daily over the shots and infusions. I hated them. I just wanted to get pregnant without getting stabbed. 😐 

The good news


And then it happened. I took a pregnancy test and sobbed over those two pink lines. I'd never seen them before in real life, but there they were--two dark pink lines that showed up immediately on that pee-soaked paper strip. I took 12 more tests just to be certain--not on the same day because that's wasteful--and saved all of them. (Mike pointed out that I just needed to save one, but I told him to let me live.) We couldn't believe our luck even after all of the positive pregnancy tests and confirmation from the doctor. It was just too good to be true. 

At first I didn’t say anything because I felt guilty about getting a free baby when I know so many women who are still slogging through infertility and braving daily fertility treatments. I'd become the success story that everyone likes to mention when you finally get pregnant after successfully adopting your child or getting pregnant through IVF, and I felt really bad about it. People mean well, but those stories aren't helpful--at least they weren't to me. Why? It's hard to hope when you've been disappointed so many times. 


An early look (around 12 weeks) at our claymation baby--a weird and wondrous sight to behold.

The bad news


Just when I thought I was ready to share our great news, I started getting abnormal test results. After several blood tests, ultrasounds, and an amniocentesis, we learned that our baby was special, but not in the way I wanted. He has trisomy 18. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a chromosome disorder marked by life-threatening birth defects with a high mortality rate. Only 10 percent of babies with trisomy 18 live to a year. We were shocked. Angry. Devastated. Heartbroken. Resigned. I mean, it really was too good to be true. We couldn't just have a miracle. When the first abnormal test results came back, I said, "God, please don't make me do this. Don't make me survive this so I can help someone else do it. I've already done it. Give me something else. Please." I have whimpered and moaned this prayer a few more times, but all I've heard are my own choked sobs. 

I have cried myself to sleep every night since we got the news last Wednesday. Our sweet boy is due in September, which feels like an eternity from now, and I am no longer looking forward to meeting him because I can’t bear the thought of saying goodbye. And yet, I do want to meet him. I am hoping he lives long enough for us to meet him. I want to see his face and tell him we love him—tell him he is the miracle we never thought we’d get—and then tell him goodbye for now. I want to tell him how sorry I am that he can't stay. Really though--I'm sorry for myself, not him. He gets to go be with Jesus with his brother and sister, and I have to live without him.

Where we are now


We are entering into uncharted territory, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t afraid. After years of infertility and two losses, I feel like I’m acquainted with sorrow, but what lies ahead feels utterly foreign and terrifying. I know God is with me--that He will help me survive this just as He helped me survive infertility and loss--but I desperately wish I didn’t have to walk this road. I don’t want to do it. 

I don’t want to know what it’s like to plan a funeral instead of a birthday party. 
I don’t want to know what it’s like to give birth to an angel or watch my child become one. 
I don’t want to have to say goodbye when I’ve hardly had a chance to get to know him. 

This little guy keeps moving around in my belly as if to remind me he’s still here, still fighting, and that has helped a little. He doesn’t know his heart is broken--that his body isn’t knit together the way it’s supposed to--so I talk to him as though everything's alright. I've told him about his big brother, and I tell how much we love him, that we hope to meet him. Does he know I often cry when I’m talking to him? I hope not. But maybe he does. 

A request


I’m sharing this for a few reasons. The biggest reason is because I need prayer. I have stopped praying for a miracle because it breaks my heart too much to hope. But, I know that prayer is powerful. A few of our friends and family members are praying for a miracle, and I’m grateful they are praying for one on our behalf. I am praying for strength to get through each day. I’m praying that my boy doesn’t suffer--that I will get to meet him--and that his inevitable passing will be peaceful and painless. I’m also praying for peace and wisdom as we try and make the best decisions for our boy. God knows I don’t know what I’m doing. 

I'm also sharing because I want you to know about my boy. I have a boy growing inside of me—a broken-hearted miracle child—and he is deeply cherished and loved. I want you to know he’s alive so you won’t be surprised when I tell you he’s gone. I wish I could tell you more about him, but this is all I know for now. If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading. If you’re going to pray, thanks for praying. If you see me and don't know what to say, say that--just say you're sorry, and that you don't know what to say. That's enough, and it helps more than you know. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh my god! I just read your story and I was tearing through the whole article....the feeling must be so complicated to you and your family. You have suck a kind heart and a great mother/ friend. I am praying for you! Everyday and hoping the baby boy can be as strong as his mom and make it through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and your family. You are such a strong mama and you inspire me to be a better person. You got this. He’s got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry Lena! I know all you’ve been through so far. I can’t imagine what you’re feeling right now, from the highest high to lowest low! Thank you for sharing and I will keep you and your whole family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post taught me more about prayerful dependency in community than a year of sermons and a box full of devotionals. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lena. I am lifting you up in prayer right now, and for every day that passes in the coming months and beyond. Exodus 14:14 says “the Lord will fight for you. You need only to be still” Be as still as you can. Meditate on the truth that this earthly life is short. This will be a temporary separation. What a comfort to know he will be resting in Jesus’ lap with his siblings, waiting for mama. -Betsy Lindholm (forthischildIprayed)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lena, i hardly know what to say. and forgive me for what comes next because i've been thinking about you for a week trying to come up with anything meaningful and i have failed. this is just shocking and unbelievable news given all you've been through. my heart goes out to you and your hubby. keeping you in my closest thoughts and prayers and really really really pulling for all the miracles for you and your growing baby boy. sending you a huge huge hug from my desk. -monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m in tears but I’m also so happy that you get to experience another life growing within you. That’s the one thing I miss most. It’s a miracle already. Sending prayers, hugs and positive energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, your honesty and hope and love for your miracle baby has brought tears to my eyes. I’m so sorry that you’re having to walk this road. Please know that you are in my thoughts and I’m sending your baby and your family lots and lots of love. -johanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and your beautiful boy, I'm hoping beyond hope for that miracle, please know that across many miles and an ocean apart, there are prayers going out for you xxc

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message after the beep. *beep*