Saturday, December 31, 2011

Daily Scribbles :: That first Christmas

Just A Note:


If you're wondering why I started this project, you can read more about it here. I hope today's inspiration inspires you to scribble, too. If it does, I hope you'll share it with me.

Happy scribbling!

Bean

I.

Inspiration:  I found this gem on Mike’s old MySpace page.

December 19, 2005


i'm already privy to the best christmas gift i'll be getting this year, and i didn't have to dig through the den closet to find out.  christmas come quickly, especially the evening half.  today i walked around target and it wasn't so fun.  i didn't even make it to the toy section.  i can't wait to come home.

so come on.

II.

Six years have passed since Mike wrote those words, but reading them takes me back to that first Christmas. I was love-drunk over him, afraid that that if I blinked he'd change his mind, decide he'd made a mistake and wanted someone else. Like all the others. 

I tried not to think about him, tried not to let my missing-him show.

I’m sure it did, especially when I opened the door and saw him standing outside.

He left home early and drove six hours to say, “Merry Christmas”.  

I knew then that he wasn't like the others. I knew he wanted to stay.

Best. Gift. Ever.

III.

Let's talk about your first Christmas. It doesn't have to be the very first one you remember, though it can be. It doesn't have to be a good memory, because not all of them are good. Some are really hard. Others are really painful. You don't have to share, but if you do, don't feel like you have to edit. Or polish it up. Or sprinkle it with glitter. 

Let it be what it is. 

It's yours, and that's what counts.

4 comments:

  1. I wrote out a long scribble, clicked publish and got an error message. I think maybe those words were just meant for me. ;) I'll try to respond again on the next one!

    Love this new "feature."

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tara: Ahh, they probably were meant just for you. But at least you scribbled! Thanks for participating! I can't wait to see the conversations that start because of these collaborations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'awwww. This is so cute.

    2005 huh? That feels....quite long ago now. I would just be starting college back then.

    Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah: 2005 was the beginning of my life. :) I can't believe you were just starting college!!! WOW. I'm old. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message after the beep. *beep*