Monday, February 1, 2010

Jesus is my Facebook friend

I.

Dear Jesus,

Will You please accept my friend request?

Love,

Lina

II.

Dear Lina,

Will you please accept mine?

Love,

Jesus

III.

I have a(nother) confession:

I don’t love Jesus.

I don’t love Him the way I love Mike Fox.
I don’t love Him the way I love the sound of children’s laughter.
I don’t love Him the way I love (macaroni and) CHEESE.
I don’t love Him the way I love sunshine and green grass and a cloudless blue sky.
I don’t love Him the way I love America, especially during the Olympics.
I don’t love Him the way I love libraries.
I don’t love Him the way I love the idea of starting a family with Mike.

I could go on for days about all of the things I love (seriously—days) but when it comes to Jesus, I could talk about Him for an hour at most. And I wouldn’t even be talking about Him—I would be talking about things He has done for me and how He has changed my life, [insert most of the right things to say]; unfortunately, I usually spend more time talking about my experiences vs. Jesus. I am embarrassed to admit this but I know it’s true because I have friends who don’t know Him who ask me about Him. I stumble through the highlights of His life like I’m running through a mental outline of everything I’ve ever learned in Christian school or absorbed through osmosis as a pastor’s kid. I try to sound sincere about how much I love Him but I know it sounds

E          m          p          t          y

or sort of made-up and pieced together from books and blogs and journal entries and sometimes the bible (sans scripture references because I haven't memorized one in years).  And afterwards I run through the conversation again and again and beat myself up about the talking points I should’ve included or how I should’ve mentioned that time Jesus saved me from the pervy old man because the story is so ridiculous it proves (without a doubt in my mind) that Jesus is real and that He cares; otherwise He wouldn’t have saved me.

I try to sell Jesus even though He doesn't need to be sold. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about why I break into a cold sweat when I try to introduce my friends to Jesus. I  can talk to you about gravity and photosynthesis (loosely, with some made-up words and a crude drawing) so why not Jesus?

And then it clicked (loudly):

I don’t really know what I’m talking about.

And then it clicked for me again (just as loudly):

Jesus is my Facebook friend (and not much more).

I know all of the important details and check in often enough to stay in touch but I don’t make the effort to spend time with Him. [Sometimes I send Him flair to change up the routine.]

Saying it aloud hurts:

I don’t know Jesus.

I can barely whisper this but when I say it in my head, it echoes and echoes until it gets swallowed up by the damp stickiness of my head-space:

[I don’t love Him.]

I don’t know Him well enough to love Him.

IV.

I have decided that I want to be more than Facebook friends with Jesus.  I want to meet Him and get to know Him because

I want to fall in love with Him.

I don't want to just get by on memories or the relationship I used to have with Him; I don't want to force Him to accept the shadow of the girl I once was. 

I want to say

I          love          You

and mean it (for real).

I want to tell my future-babies, my co-workers, my neighbors, my family members, my friends who don’t know Him and anyone else God sends my way about my real friend, Jesus; the Jesus of my grown-up-life, beyond the flannel-board, lamb-carrying bearded Jesus of my childhood. I loved Him then.


I want to love Him—know Him—now.

6 comments:

  1. Bean.

    This is painfully beautiful.

    You wrote this so intricately and perfectly - it's funny, it's heartbreaking, and it's right.

    Thank you for inspiring me.

    [You're wonderful.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bean,

    I came to your blog through Christiana's a while ago, and I added it to my google reader.

    Please read this article. It is by a leader of my church, and it talks about loving God. It is a wonderful article.

    http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-7,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes courage to reveal the truth hidden in a lot of people's hearts. I see it a lot at church, too many people faking the funk, and not admitting the truth that's evident by their actions. Way to go, Beaners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your heartfelt honesty is what will draw others to Christ. Your journey to know Him more is not only inspirational, it's convicting in the best way.

    I want to know him better too. Each day I want to put down my magazines and my reality TV to sit at His feet. It's a struggle for sure.

    The beautiful part is that it is evident that Jesus is knocking on your door - I love how He's drawing you in.

    Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO great. Thank you for sharing it with such honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this, it's the now that counts.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message after the beep. *beep*