Monday, November 14, 2011

Thankful for firsts. Sort of.

I remember a lot of firsts.


I remember the first time I ate cottage cheese. It was Grandparents Day at school, and since my grandpa didn't speak much English (and I didn't speak much Lao), I ate lunch with a classmate and her grandparents at Sizzler.


I remember the first time time I slapped a girl. It was impulsive, and I immediately regretted it after I did it. I was in 5th grade. (I have never slapped anyone since.)


I remember my first kiss. It was exhilarating and hungry and wet. I was 19. He smelled like crisp air and clean laundry.


And even though it hasn't happened yet, I know I will always remember this Thanksgiving. Because this Thanksgiving, I'm going to host my first Thanksgiving dinner. For my family. In my home.


I. AM. ANXIOUS. (Understatement.)


I didn't think I'd be in this position for a few years! Yet, in too few days, I will be frantically cleaning my house, bathing my dogs, peeling potatoes and trying to figure out how to seat nine people in my dining room. (Our table comfortably seats four.) I have to think positively. Otherwise, my mind begins spiraling out of control. 


How will I cook an entire Thanksgiving feast in my tiny kitchen? Can I even fit an entire turkey in my oven? Do I have place settings and seating for nine adults? Do I need to decorate?! Am responsible for creating traditions?! Will they like what I cook? What if they're disappointed? Look at my cuticles. My skin looks terrible. I look haggard. My spider veins look more pronounced today. I feel bloated. I want to eat cake and watch a Harry Potter marathon.


In addition to worrying about Thanksgiving dinner, my body has decided to shut down. I feel like a five-year-old is sitting on my head (and is hitting me in the face), and every time I cough, which is often, I feel like I might pop a lung.

I'm freaking out now, and I'll probably freak out on Thanksgiving day, but I know I'm missing the point. 

I have many reasons to give thanks. 

I am thankful for Mike Fox.
I am thankful for our home.
I am thankful that I get to prepare a meal for my family.
I am thankful for my tiny kitchen and too-small oven and table that only seats four. 
I am thankful for my family and friends.


I hope I have good news to share after Thanksgiving, but if not good news, at least hilarious stories about how I botched the whole dinner and ended up feeding everyone fried rice.


What are you doing for Thanksgiving? If you're cooking, what are you making? Do you have any advice on how not to botch Thanksgiving dinner? If so, please share!

4 comments:

  1. The beauty about "firsts" is that you get to botch things up a bit and be better next time. But here's the thing, you will always look back with fondness, and maybe nostalgia, at the "firsts" for its imperfections. But knowing you, your first Thanksgiving as a hostess will be memorable and everyone will talk about for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hosted Thanksgiving in our house for the first time a couple years ago and it was a blast. I wish I could host every year. Something will go wrong - and it makes for a great story! Enjoy your time with your family. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nannette Ricaforte: Thanks for reminding me that "firsts" are always memorable, and that imperfections are just as special. :)
    @Tara: Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure I will have some interesting stories to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing it was amazing, because I know you are.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message after the beep. *beep*